Thursday, December 10, 2009

One Less













Recently Andrew and I were returning from a weekend out of town.  Tired and ready to be home we drove off Highway 70 toward our house.  Looking around I took in the brick buildings, the tall white water tower with paint peeling, and I was comforted by its familiarity.

However, it wasn't long before I saw a new landmark, a pile of teddy bears, a memorial marking the place where someone had died.  In the city this is a common way to honor lost family members who were killed through violence. 

I've seen many of these memorials, but something about this one seemed shocking to me.  I felt unsettled by it and profoundly sad.  We had only been gone from the city for a few days, and yet we came home to a community with one less person.  There was one less father or sister or son--one less loved one.  Did this person know the Lord?  I pray so, but there is now one less opportunity to share the love of Christ with one of His creation. 

I don't know how long that memorial will stay in place, but every time I drive by it I am reminded of the urgency of the Gospel and the brokenness of this world.  It makes me yearn for the Lord's return, and yet, there is so much work to be done...so many who do not know Him. 

I am reminded of the quote by D.L. Moody in which he says, "Winners of souls must first be weepers of souls."  Working in the city can sometimes be heartbreaking, yet the victory of our Lord needs to be proclaimed here.  I pray for even just one more to be added to the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment