Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Modern Day Plague

I'm convinced that incompetence is a plague for the modern day.

If we were in the book of Exodus, somewhere between the plagues of frogs and lice, it would read, "And then incompetence swept over the land.  When you couldn't find an item in Walmart, absolutely no one could point you in the right direction.  When you ate at a restraunt your server would inexplicably vanish, leaving you with empty drinks and no E.T.A. on your missing food.  When you tried to navigate the incredibly confusing foster care system, everyone would give you different answers to the same question...that is, if they bothered to call and tell you at all!  And there was gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes because everyone was frustrated all the time."  Or, something like that.

Lately our journey with said foster care system has included some gnashing of teeth...although we have spared society and left our clothes untorn.  Sometimes I just reach my limit and want to yell in the halls of the court or in the isles of Walmart, "Does anyone give a crap anymore???!!"  I mean, I used to believe people who had jobs knew what they were doing.  Silly me.

Not to be melodramatic, because bad service at a restaurant is annoying but, hey, its not like I'm on the verge of starving.  But, in situations where lives hang in the balance it would be nice to know people knew what they were doing.

Today was supposed to be a big day for our family.  Instead it was frustrating and left us feeling a little shell-shocked.  I am grateful our little guy is yet too young to fully feel the emotional roller coaster like Andrew and I do.  I would never wish to change our journey, because it has brought us Little Man, but it has tested our faith and our character every step of the way.

In the face of such grand incompetence I have been forced to acknowledge two things:  I need more grace and more faith.  I need more grace/love/patience for people around me and I need more faith/trust that the Lord is bigger than any system and He is ALWAYS competent.  When I feel like running through the streets screaming, there is comfort in the knowledge that His timing is always perfect and He will never let me or Little Man down.

I'm so grateful that I don't have to go on this journey alone, because, I might go crazy (or crazier, I guess).  Love you, Andrew, and Happy Anniversary. It wasn't the day we had hoped for, but it was a day that proved God brought us together for a reason and He's not finished with us yet!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear all that. We will be praying that God's timing is even sooner than you expect so that your family can be out of waiting stage soon!

    ReplyDelete